Tampa is city of state Florida. The city has population over 384,000 that accounts for 1.7% of the state population. It is located on the west coast of Florida on Tampa Bay. Tampa is also the largest city in the Tampa Bay Area. It has a nickname of cigar city. The city size is 293.75 km2 with population density of 1,283.97 per km2.
Based on our research, Tampa population will reach 409,814 by 1st July of 2021. We use first day of July each year due to US census bureau normally publishes the estimated population data for the same period. The calculation is based on the average growth rate of 1.68% over last 10 years since 2011. We believe using the recent years’ figures (see the table in next section) will make the estimation more accurate.
Population Growth of Tampa
Looking back last 9 years of Tampa’s population, the growth rate is strong and consistent ranging from 0.63% to 2.45%, adding around 2,199 to 8,817 people each year to the overall population. Lots of workers were moving to Tampa to take advantage of employment opportunities there, which contributes to the population growth. Comparing with other cities in Florida, Tampa growth rate is above the state average. It is one of fastest growth major cities in US.
Demographics of Tampa
According to U.S. Census Bureau, 44.7 percent of the Tampa population is male and 55.3 percent are female. The average resident age is 34.7, which is younger than other major cities in Florida. In terms of age distribution, the city’s population was spread out with 24.6% under the age of 18, 10.0% from 18 to 24, 32.3% from 25 to 44, 20.5% from 45 to 64, and 12.5% who were 65 years of age or older.
The top race groups for people living in Tampa are: White(62.9%),Black(26.2%),Asian(3.4%),Native(0.4%),Two or more races(3.2%).
The top languages (other than English) spoken in Tampa are Spanish, French and Italian. Spanish speakers made up 17.8% of the population, while French came up as the second most spoken language, which made up 0.6%, and Italian was at third, with 0.6% of the population.
In terms of resident wealth, according to research done in 2006, the median household income was $39,602, and the median family income was $45,823. Male’s average income was $40,461 while female average income was $29,868. The per capita income for the city was $26,522. 20.1% of the population and 16.4% of families were below the poverty line. 31.0% of those under the age of 18 and 13.6% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty level.
Population Density of Tampa
Tampa’s population density is 1,283 people per square kilometer, which is one of the most populated cities in Florida.
Facts About Tampa
- Babe Ruth hit his longest home run during an exhibition game in Tampa—it sailed 587 feet.
- Although back in the day, it was probably cigars—it’s still known as the “Cigar City.”
- Tampa is home to Florida’s oldest restaurant (as well as the world’s largest Spanish restaurant).
- Ybor City is one of the most haunted places in the world.
- A massive pirate festival has been taking place for over 100 years! Each year, “pirates” attack Tampa during the Gasparilla Pirate Festival.
- Tampa is home to the world’s longest continuous sidewalk, Bayshore Boulevard. It’s 4.5 miles long!
- Want to visit Cuba without leaving Florida? Visit Jose Marti Park. It’s technically Cuban soil.
- Tarpon Springs has the highest percentage of Greek Americans in any US city.
The following links provide data for this topic: